Written by Mike Sissons
and originally developed at The Dales School (North Yorkshire)
MAPP (Semi-Formal) is a suite of materials developed to facilitate the planning, assessment and recording of progress in relation to personal learning intentions.
Whats New in this ‘Semi-Formal’ edition of MAPP?
- MAPP (Semi-Formal) spreadsheets now generate longitudinal data which provide a graphic presentation of individual progress over time. This process is automated so that no additional administrative burden is placed on teachers
- Longitudinal data can be transferred from each individual record to a cohort sheet to facilitate reporting and whole school analysis of progress.
- The MAPP Milestone Statements have been comprehensively rewritten and expanded.
- A completely new section provides guidance on the implementation of MAPP and addresses the key issue of how to demonstrate that progress is good or better within a framework of personalised assessment.
Below is a short video of almost 11 mins by Mike Sissons; the author of MAPP – Semi-Formal.
Mike Sissons talks about the new MAPP – Semi-Formal.
MAPP (Semi-Formal) at a glance
Section 1 contains the MAPP Milestones. These are not strictly hierarchical and, though they increase in complexity within each section, there is no assumption that learners will work through all of them or approach them in a fixed order. They are intended to guide thinking when writing personal learning intentions; they are not intended to be exclusive and teachers should refer to other relevant resources.
Section 2 contains the Assessment of Lateral Progress (ALP). This is the core instrument in MAPP for assessing progress in relation to learning intentions, whatever their source. It has been used to assess progress in physical development, for example, an area not covered by the Milestone statements but an area which is of vital importance to many pupils with LDD.
In this revised edition of MAPP, the aspect of ‘prompting’ has been renamed ‘independence’.
This is simply a change in language which has been made to provide consistency, and to avoid the confusion that has sometimes arisen over the notion of progress being linked to a reduction in prompting, rather than an increase in independence.
Section 3 offers guidelines on the completion of the MAPP (Semi-Formal) spreadsheets. These spreadsheets generate more information than the spreadsheets in the first edition of MAPP but have been designed in such a way that they do not require teachers to input any additional data.
Section 4 discusses key concepts in MAPP (Semi-Formal) and recommends systems and processes concerning its implementation. This section contains answers to the questions that have most frequently ben raised in training sessions and presentations since the publication of the first edition of MAPP in 2010.
£100.00 + VAT for members and £149.00 for non-members.
* Discounts are available for schools, that previously purchased the first version of MAPP.
Please email email@example.com for further details.
To place an order please click on the ‘Download Order Link’ button below or you can also order through our Webshop.
EQUALS Members benefit from significant discounts on EQUALS publications.
The members price for the above publication is only £100 + VAT each.
This involves a saving of £49 + VAT each compared to Non-members prices
If you would like to become a member of
EQUALS at £120 + VAT for 12 months please click here